WINKY WACKY RACES 2019 – BASIC RULES
Cost of entry for Soap Boxes
The cost of entry per team is GBP 100.00 (per team of 5) and each soap box must pledge sponsorship of GBP 200.00 to Winky Kicks Cancer.
The cost of entry per team is GBP 250.00 and each soap box must pledge sponsorship of GBP 200.00 to Winky Kicks Cancer. This fee includes entry fees, the freedom to advertise on their Soap Box and an advertising banner on the race course track.
Winky Kicks Cancer Logo
Each Team Soap Box must have a Winky Kicks Cancer and a Wincanton Wacky Races logo on display.
Disclaimers for those taking part
Each team will be required to sign a disclaimer that they are entering the races of their own free will and have appropriate insurance to cover them if they are injured. Wincanton Wacky Races will take no liability or responsibility for any incidents as a direct result of racing. Liability Insurance will be taken out for all spectators.
Entry requirements – Team lists
All team members (Max 5) will need to register and only those registered can approach the start ramp for the race.
Soap Box Build Time
All entries that have submitted a draft plan/drawing and have been successful will be informed at the same time. All teams will have at least 6 weeks to build their Soap Box.
Soap Box requirements
All Crafts must comply with the following specifications and must pass a Wincanton Wacky Race’s (WWR) safety inspection, as follows:
(a) the Craft must be human- and gravity-powered. No engines, stored power or external energy sources (e.g., engines, gas, batteries, electrical cords, catapults, after burners) can be used;
(b) Craft maximum width: 6 feet;
(c) Craft maximum height: 6 feet;
(d) Craft maximum length: 8 feet;
(e) Craft maximum weight: 150 pounds (excluding the driver and, if applicable, co-driver);
(f) Crafts must be built from environmentally friendly, non-toxic materials
(g) Crafts must have fully functional brakes and steering. Brakes must function independently of the steering and must be connected to and operate at least two of the wheels. Braking with hands and feet is prohibited;
(h) modified prefabricated cars, kit cars and vehicles are prohibited;
(i) nothing can be mounted, screwed into or glued to the pavement in any way shape or form; and
(j) if Teams are sponsored by third-party sponsors, any sponsor logo(s) will be unrestricted but the soap box must include a Winky Kicks Cancer and Winky Wacky Races logo.
Only Crafts that pass a WWR safety inspection will be permitted to participate in the Event. WWR accepts no responsibility for the failure of a Craft to pass their safety inspection and by passing a Craft in the safety inspection, WWR is not warranting or representing the safety or appropriateness of the Craft. The Event Organiser (Neil Anderson) decision on acceptability of Craft is final and binding.
Members of Teams whose Crafts pass the safety inspection will be permitted to participate in the Event (collectively, “Participants”). Teams are limited to no more than five (5) Participants, including the driver. Only Team members listed in the official Registration Form will be permitted to participate in the Event.
Each Team must have one (1) nominated driver and may have a co-driver. A maximum of two (2) people may actually race in the Event (one driver and one co-driver). The pit crew will be permitted to push the Craft from the start line and must follow the craft down the route. If the craft malfunctions or fails to move, the team must carry it to the finish line and then remove it.
Members of Teams must follow all safety instructions of WWR Wacky Races and each Team’s driver and co-driver (if applicable) must wear full face motorcycle helmets.
All drivers (and, if applicable, co-drivers) must wear full-length pants, a long-sleeved top, and gloves as part of their costumes.
All other team member must wear gloves and a long sleeved top.
Participants acknowledge that the Event is a dangerous activity that may result in injury or death, and participate at their own risk. Participants must:
- attend, undergo and pass any appropriate training, briefings, required medical tests and other requirements of WWR and Event organizers as determined by them in their absolute discretion;
- Not have any heart condition or history thereof, or other medical conditions that would make it dangerous to participate in the Event;
- Not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- Comply with all directions of the Event organizers at all times;
- Wear all safety and other equipment required;
- Not physically attach themselves to their Crafts or be enclosed in any type of capsule or cockpit from which they cannot escape;
- Only race their Crafts on the specified race track in accordance with the Event organizer’s directions; and
- Ensure that any performance costume does not pose the risk of getting caught in the Craft or hamper the driver’s visibility.
The event organizers, in their absolute discretion and at all times, reserve the right to:
- Prevent any Participant from participating in the Event if, at any time, they reasonably believe that the Participant poses a safety risk or for any other reason, including but not limited to, acting in a manner which is likely to bring the event organizer into disrepute, or is likely to cause harm to Participants, event organizer’s employees, contractors or volunteers, or any other third party; and
- Cancel the event if the conditions are deemed dangerous or in any other way unsuitable. If the event is varied for any reason beyond the control of Wincanton Wacky Races it may not be rescheduled and no compensation will be offered.
The Event Judges will base their decisions on the following criteria (the “Event Criteria”):
- Creativity of Craft design (maximum of 50 points) (“Creativity”);
- Showmanship/Race performance of the Craft and Team, including a stage performance of up to thirty (30) seconds (maximum of 50 points) (“Showmanship”); and
- Speed/Race time (electronically timed and recorded in seconds; the “Race Time”).
At the end of the Event, the Event Judges will tally the points awarded from all the Event Criteria and award prizes to the highest-scoring Teams as follows:
First Prize - £1000
Second Prize - £750
Third Prize - £500